TL;DR – It went well.
Click ‘read more’ for cake.
>> NEWEST VERSION HERE <<
I am posting this later than my 168h (I’ve started and finished on Saturdays 11:45 CET), but I wanted to make sure the system specific packages work. Windows libtcod dll crashed a bit so I had to get that fixed. With that out of the way, let me present you the one and only:
I’m almost done! The main game is mostly complete, I’ve added a high score system and screen that shows your highest 10 scores. To be added still are the Big Bad Boss, the game ending (I’ve decided that I don’t want an infinite game after all), and the help screen. I am considering doing some graphical niceties like blood spatters and less rigid fov, but that’s on ‘Would Be Nice If’ list.
I’ve failed with Artifact. The project I’ve envisioned for 7DRL Challenge is too large, too complex for my programming skills for now. Also my code base sucks. I’m putting Artifact on back-burner for undefined amount of time. But I want to revisit this idea sometime in the future, so not all is lost. King is asleep, long live the King No worries, after some rants on #rgrd and wasting a day, I’ve come up with an idea for a smaller scope game that I have a chance to finish on time, Saturday 11:45 CET.
It’s not going well. I have managed to split my codebase from firstrl (dead link) into several files, removed some things that I didn’t need and create a ‘global variable object’ that handles all the important thing I’ll have to have saved. The main problem right now? Game’s main logic is not flexible enough to handle several mouse-checking requests every libtcod frame. It is bad, I cannot make mouse movement work with what I have.
As of now, 11:45 CET (GMT +1) 10th March 2012 I’m typing “git init” and start coding my 7DRL – Artifact. My previous plans of making daily updates may be unrealistic. Main goal updates feel more natural. If you are still interested in my game, check my previus post that explains what Artifact is supposed to be in seven days. Cheers! M.
The 2012 [Seven Day Roguelike Challenge] is starting this weekend, and I’m ankles deep in preparations.
My entry will be Artifact (nobody has taken this name yet, really?), a game paying homage to the artifact mugs of Dwarf Fortress.
Google is a curious device. It points its users to my blog post tagged ‘
libtcod (dead link, go to https://bitbucket.org/libtcod/libtcod ) fog of war’, despite it not having much to do with actual instructions on how that works. I’ve decided to write an actual post about it, so you won’t be disappointed next time you click the google link pointing to my blog. Read on if that’s why you’re here.
I’ve been silent for some time (not that anyone missed me). If you read my posts before my database went to hell along with my server – I’ve finished the tutorial, and now I’m on my own in the realm of python + libtcod roguelike developement. Things are going along nicely, I sure have a lot of loose ends and unforseen (‘…consequences’) difficulties, bugs are popping up like daisies in spring, and I still don’t know a lot of stuff.